Welcome

So I did it! I finally did it. I made my first official blog. And if you are reading this, then you are a person that is important to me. This blog is a way for me to keep you posted on what is going on in my world, and to also share the musings of an young man with an old soul.


Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday

First off let me say how embarrassed I am to have not posted at all the entire month of February. Instead of writing a full blog entry I tweeted some of the happenings during black history month. Quick side note I went to the State of Black History Month Forum. The event was moderated by the great Dr. Khalil Muhammed. The discussion lasted about two hours and the conversation keep reverting back to this fundamental issue of Black identity. Dr. Muhammed tried to steer the conversation towards a broader understanding of Black history but no one could discuss at length who are the key history makers that should be lauded during this month. Is the month of honoring Black figures irrelevant in an assumed post-racial United States of America?

Two things I drew from the discussion (1) Even college students don't really know Black History. When he asked for students to share some key leaders (outside of the usual Rosa, Martin & Malcolm) students stammered. So we desperately need to connect all students to the history of Black Americans. (2) College students need a safe space to regularly discuss their racial identity. That was the only issue discussed at length during the forum. Students that commented seemed to be subtly asking the deeper question of "When and where is it ok for me to express (or explore) my blackness?" I am currently working with Eric Love to create a safe space for student to continue the discussion on the issue of race and ethnicity.

So today is Ash Wednesday, and I attended Trinity Episcopal Church for the imposition of ashes. I love the inclusive nature of the service. The homily given today emphasized the loving and merciful nature of Christ. He gently reminded us that the reason for the ashes is "not to remind us of our sinful nature, but it is a reminder of who we belong to." It was a powerful moment for me, a time to remember that my life is not my own. He breathed life into me forming me from the dirt. From ashes I was made and to ashes I will return; God's possession and his beautiful surprise

For Lent I have decided to give up facebook and Twitter, they are an addiction for me. Here is the back story. In the library this morning I was explaining the significance of Lent to some of my friends and we all decided to give up some technology. My friend Jasmine has decided to give up her cell phone for one week and twitter for the forty day period. We discussed it and these forms of social media reify pseudo-social connections. Instead of making online friends we are seeking to spend time with real people.

Finally I am looking forward to the next forty days of self-examination and repentance. My hope is that I this season of Lent will help me form habits of critical reflection and self-examination. What are you giving up for lent this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment