Welcome

So I did it! I finally did it. I made my first official blog. And if you are reading this, then you are a person that is important to me. This blog is a way for me to keep you posted on what is going on in my world, and to also share the musings of an young man with an old soul.


Friday, August 20, 2010

What's in a name...



Romeo and Juliet: A RoseShakespeare's character Romeo asked the poignant question, what's in a name? that which we call rose by any other name would smell as sweet. This name business is why for so many years I avoided diving into the blogosphere. If I were going to blog it was imperative that I create a blog with a cool name and an even cooler look and feel. Currently I have failed on both of those fronts, but my wonderful girlfriend will help me remedy the look and feel problem next weekend... hopefully.
Sojourner Truth
So while I don't love the name of the blog it does hold some significance. It is a reflection of my current mind set and status in life. Sojourner Truth is one of the most amazing African American women in our nation's history. Born Isabella Baumfree she was able to escape her oppressors and fight to liberate herself. Immediately after gaining her freedom she petitioned for the emancipation of others slaves. Later on in life she was commissioned as a traveling preacher by the methodist church, and took up the new name Sojourner Truth.

In addition to this blog paying homage to the abolitionist and suffragette. I also wanted the name to reflect an element of my faith. Through out my life I have always felt that this place is not my home. That I am merely passing through. Like Abraham I am a stranger in a land unknown to me. I also wanted my blog title to have an element of wandering and searching, because for the next four (or five) years I will be a journeying as a stranger in a new land. My goal is to seek out truth wherever it may be found. So what's in a name? Hopefully  a lot. 


2 comments:

  1. Literally, yesterday as I was walking somewhere, the name of your blog came to me and I "got" the double meaning. I had thought about you being on a journey and seeking truth, but had not really consciously put it together with Sojourner Truth.

    Then I thought it was awesome when I read this blog post this morning.

    Anyway, I like the name of the blog. And clearly Mel has helped you with the background because its very cool. Cooler than mine. Also the name of yours is cooler than mine.

    Love you bud! tiff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I want to "follow" your blog publicly (not just on my google reader feed) but it won't let me. You may need to debug it. :)

    ReplyDelete