Welcome

So I did it! I finally did it. I made my first official blog. And if you are reading this, then you are a person that is important to me. This blog is a way for me to keep you posted on what is going on in my world, and to also share the musings of an young man with an old soul.


Sunday, August 22, 2010

Firsts

I've been in Bloomington for almost a month now, and my transition into Bloomington and the midwest have been fairly seamless. People in Bloomington remind me a lot of people in Texas. Most people I have encountered (both inside and outside the university setting) have been very friendly, courteous and helpful. Today as I reflected on my current and future endeavors, I thought for you (my faithful blogging audience) I would put together a list of firsts for me in Bloomington. So here is a short list of things I came up with. This will be the first time:
  • I have lived in a state other than Texas
  • I have lived alone
  • Have no family members within 100 mile radius 
  • Be a student at a public university 
  • As an alumni I will miss Baylor's homecoming
  • I will not be able to eat at Ninfa's or Vitek's
  • As an adult I do not have a full time job
  • I will be one of a handful that refer to soft drinks as "coke"
  • I will experience the four seasons (can't wait for fall)
  • Attend a Big Ten Sporting Event
  • I will no longer have a TX Drivers License and TX license plate 
  • I will not drive home for Christmas or Thanksgiving
  • I will be able to buy Gino's East frozen Chicago-style deep dish pizza
  • My home airport will be Indianapolis International (NOT DFW/ Love Field)
  • I will not be able to lead incoming freshmen in a Sic 'Em Bears
  • I will not see my girlfriend every weekend
Many of these first I'm excited about (see: Chicago-style deep dish pizza), but others on the list are going to take some getting used to. Well that's all for today... Talk to you all soon.

5 comments:

  1. My first homecoming as an alum and you won't be there. smh. I guess I will have to make a trip to Indiana to see you. Let me know about that Chicago-style Deep Dish, you know I love food...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow JT! You have completely stepped out of your comfort zone! I can't imagine anything but awesomeness to come from your journey, and I will be thinking of you and praying for you my friend! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told you Midwesterners were awesome! :) I'm glad you are settling in to life outside of Texas. It is always hard being away from home, but you will find a community there that you will grow to love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read this post it was a little sad, a little scary, and very exciting...because I'm right behind you, wherever I go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fall is beautiful in Indiana!! Make sure you go to an apple orchard when the leaves change colors...and eat some apple butter : )

    ReplyDelete